- This event has passed.
Street Seats: Urban Benches for Vibrant Cities
May 11, 2018 @ 11:50 pm - 11:55 pm| $75
Calling all designers, architects, makers, builders, artists, and creatives: New international design challenge for a public outdoor bench exhibition!
Designers, whether individual or in teams, are invited to design a sustainable, outdoor park bench with a focus on reuse, using environmentally-friendly materials and innovative construction methods. Semi-Finalist teams will fabricate their unique bench designs to be featured in an outdoor public design exhibition at the World Trade Center Portland in August of 2018.
The Jury will base its scoring on the following considerations:
• Sustainable design using recycled, reclaimed, and/or renewable materials
• Aesthetically pleasing
• Innovative design and construction
• Safe for outdoor public use
• Must fit within bench envelope (30’’ x 72’’ x 48’’)
• Seat at least 2 people – hold 600 lbs of weight at various seating positions
Suitable for outdoor use (durable, robust, weatherproof, etc)
• Stable and securable at the site once installed
• Depth and quality of design process documentation
• All 1/8 scale model entries will be on view at a gallery exhibition in Portland, OR, and
featured on the Design Museum Portland website. Design credits will include name,
professional or academic affiliation (if any), city, state, country, twitter handle and
website (if any). The gallery will be curated by Design Museum Portland.
• 15 Semi-Finalists will be selected by the Jury from the entries and announced at
the gallery opening on June 6, 2018. All Semi-Finalists will receive promotion from
Design Museum Portland, media coverage, and a mention in our national Design
Museum Magazine. Semi-Finalists will receive a US$1,000 reimbursement grant
for use in fabricating their full-scale bench. All Semi- Finalists final designs will be
installed at the World Trade Center Portland as part of the public design exhibition,
on view for six months.
• Three finalists will receive trophies, promotion and media coverage, a feature in the
Design Museum Magazine, as well as cash prizes. Grand prize (1 entry): US$5,000
cash prize. Runners-up (2 entries) will each receive a US$2,000 cash prize.
• Five Semi-Finalists will be selected by Portland General Electric to be installed
permanently on-site at World Trade Center Portland. The other 10 Semi-Finalists
will be installed around Portland.
Schedule at a Glance:
• January 18: Applications Open
• March 16: Early Bird Registration Deadline
• May 11: Final Deadline, 11:59pm PDT
• June 8: Semi-Finalists Announcement
• August 2: Exhibition Opening in Portland, Oregon