DESIGN AND WEB ASSISTANT 14 June 2019
JLA Public Involvement is a Northwest leader in public involvement and public interest communications. We’ve been responsible for some of the region’s most significant, complex, and innovative programs to engage people in decisions that affect their daily lives. We work in many sectors—including transportation, water resources, land use, recreation, and more. Clients include all levels of government throughout the Northwest.
We want a staff that reflects the diverse communities in Oregon and SW Washington. Please apply:
- If you have a unique lived experience, bilingual or bicultural background that can help us look at our work differently, as well as creating opportunities for all voices to be involved in our outreach activities.
- If you are someone that values equity and fairness, just like we do.
- If you don’t fit the cookie cutter job description, but feel passionately that you would be a good fit for this work.
The job: JLA offers a unique and wonderful opportunity to grow as a designer while also learning organizational, communications, and public involvement skills. As a Graphic and Web Assistant, you will take on a variety of design and web development tasks and visual communication support roles as needed, and track and implement activities to engage stakeholders in public projects. You will develop compelling visual communications pieces to share information and make complex technical information more accessible to the broader public.
Workplace culture: We are a small team that values a sense of belonging and group interactions, while encouraging you to take control of your work products and guide the direction of a project. We are fast-paced and require some work out of regular hours, but also allow for flexible work hours and to sometimes work from home.
- Provide graphic design solutions as directed under the guidance of the design and communications team
- Execute compelling design of communications materials, including newsletters, factsheets, web content, presentations, data visualization, infographics, etc.
- Assist with the development/implementation of interactive online public participation tools, including social media planning, surveys, interactive maps, online open houses, and other approaches
- Provide support and coordination of public events and meetings, such as open houses, public hearings, and workshops
- Conduct some face-to-face outreach, such as neighborhood canvassing and event tabling
- Update and maintain websites and project databases
- Support other office functions
- Graphic design degree or equivalent experience in layout and visual design
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator and (optionally) other Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- Familiarity with the principles of responsive design; jQuery; Bootstrap; PHP
- Experience and comfort with database management
- Collaborative approach to work, openness to ongoing learning and evolution of skill and methods, and a strong eye for clean, effective design
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communications skills in a range of styles
- Ability to work respectfully and professionally in diverse settings
- Ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and self-manage in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with template-based web development and website maintenance
- Ability to assist with outreach materials in Spanish and other non-English languages is a plus
Location and physical requirements: This position requires working from our ADA-accessible Portland, Oregon office – with some flexibility to work remotely – and includes staffing engagement activities outside of the office around Oregon and southwest Washington. The position requires some lifting and driving.
Hours: Full-time between 9 a.m. -5 p.m., Monday through Friday
and some evening or weekend meetings
Apply Via Email